Charles University, First Faculty of Medicine: Academic Research is all about to change
First Faculty of Medicine with almost 1 200 staff members and 3 400 students represents the largest medical faculty in the Czech Republic. It is an integral part of Charles University from its foundation by the King of Bohemia and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire Charles the Fourth in 1348. As such, it is also the oldest medical faculty in Central Europe.
However, it is not just the majestic history and impressive quantitative measures that would be enough to make the institution successful and competitive. It must be ideas, people, capacities and management, which finally will be responsible for the future, profit and serviceability of any institution. To accomplish our mission, and to reflect not only the strength and vitality of the Faculty's research programmes, but also our national position and international aspirations, we affirm the following objectives:
- To be a dynamic component of the European medical educational system
- To run the leading-edge biomedical research within the broader frame of the European Research Area
- To be recognized as a valuable member of the local community.
In this context:
- We are here to teach medical professionals of the future: We provide undergraduate, graduate and professional programmes of the highest academic quality, taught either in Czech or English languages, pursuing internationally significant scholarship. Academic excellence, stimulation of creativity and intellectual curiosity are the highly ranking values in periodic internal evaluation of our teaching staff. The Faculty encourages and supports outstanding research trainees and research training programmes.
- We seek for talents: Our students are recruited from across Europe , America, Asia and Africa and our study programmes are regularly accredited in Europe and USA.
- Science is future of all of us: Faculty is heavily investing in research infrastructure. Our laboratories take advantage of virtually all state-of-the-art technologies that are in hands of enthusiastic staff with an international experience and reputation. Funding generated by scientific activities recently represents the majority of the Faculty budget.
- Changing picture of our common Europe: The Faculty itself benefits from “on-the-spot” dialogue of researchers and doctors. Our research teams are involved in multiple national research projects emphasizing collaboration between basic and clinical sciences, together with researchers in other disciplines from extramural institutions. Importantly, our engagement in international teams and EU projects sharply increases.
- Turning scientists into entrepreneurs: Our results demonstrate outstanding commitment to basic, clinical and applied research. The Faculty leadership together with the University management builds standard procedures of the technology transfer and win-win academia-industry liaison in compliance with the existing European rules.
- Beyond the R&D community borders: Faculty experts are regularly involved in popularization of science among the community and from their side they promote public health awareness. In collaboration with journalists and media, our doctors and researchers focus on the major public medicine problems, but also help to spread fundamental scientific facts, explain how science works and develops. Our vision is to help building the knowledge based society in broader terms.
121 08 Prague 2
Phone with intl code: +420 224 964 237, FAX: +420 224 915 413
responsible person: Secretary. number of views: 55387 last modification: kbuli, 31.08.2016
Page ranking: (by 7 users) If you think the article is not up-to-date, click here.